Pages

Friday 21 February 2014

Ecotourism

I have an addiction, I love to travel. It's an expensive addiction and one that can't be fulfilled every time I crave it, in the mean time I research and plan my future trips that I will one day like to go on. Being concerned with our environmental impact and also wanting to travel to mostly every part of the world, I fell in love with what is called ecotourism.

Ecotourism combines my two passions, travelling and my love for nature. Ecotourism is defined as "responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people"



As the concept of ecotourism becomes more popular the number of ecoDestinations increase, you are now able to travel to every continent and take part in ecotourism!

Whitewater rafting in Ottawa River


So why not go to Costa Rica and experience horse back riding while enjoying the wonderful beaches or go to India and travel from Delhi to Mumbai and ride on a few camels, the possibilities are endless!


Next time you're planning your vacation, think of the impact you have on the places you will be visiting and consider ecotourism.

8 comments:

  1. Maria, I love that you blogged about Ecotourism. I am absolutely obsessed with the idea of carbon offsetting my travels and staying places where I know I can make a difference. So many times people opt for the all inclusive and don't take a moment to think about how their trip will impact the world. Often the money spent on vacations doesn't actually stay in the local economy but instead is sent back to headquarters in North America, Europe or countless other stable countries. I love that your wrote this blog and encourage everyone to realize it their social responsibility to consider where they are going and how their visit will impact those that they leave behind. I can't wait to read more of your blog.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to take your advice the next time I travel. I usually don't think about these things until I actually reach my destination. I will grudgingly admit that I'm not the most environmentally friendly traveler. But I promise to try harder, Maria.

    My brother, on the other hand, is a lot like you when it comes to traveling. He's the white water rafting, portaging, bike riding type who genuinely enjoys making a difference. I guess I should also take his advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria.
    This was a very neat read! These are all things people need to take into consideration when planning their travels.
    I'll have to pass this on to my mom who has a huge travel bug - she'll love it !

    ReplyDelete
  4. For someone like myself who does not travel, I will have to take your advice when I do actually plan a vacation. I think it is amazing that you are trying to encourage everyone to consider the environment when traveling in order to this a better and safer place. Continue on with trying to change the world Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always conscious of my impact on the natural environments I venture into and I definitely feel that the message of being conscious is an important one. I applaud you for voicing this importance and I hope all travelers keep your sound advice in mind! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative I think its very important that tourists respect the environment they are in, so tourist attractions can be preserved for future generations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Maria. I love an adventure and travel and would love to do some of the attractions you mentioned, white water rafting, riding camels, etc. I don't always think of it as ecotourism. When planning my next trip, I will definitely look more into ecotourism as another adventure in my travels. Thanks Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog topic is very informative and I think that this post is really important for people like myself, who love to travel. I've recently become more aware and interested in the concept of ecotourism, and I've actually wanted to to try whitewater rafting in the Ottawa River for a while now. Good job with the blog Maria!

    ReplyDelete