Pages

Friday 7 February 2014

Bottoms up!

With so many issues affecting our environment, I was unsure of what to write this week, as I was sitting in class wondering of how to motivate others to care for their environment, I noticed that a lot of my class mates had plastic bottled waters.  



I think sometimes people like to believe that buying plastic water bottles and then recycling them makes it all better. Truth is that only 1 out 5 can be recycled. That means 80% are thrown out and end up...


Think you should buy bottled water because it's "healthier"? Well then the marketing gurus are doing their job, by adding "spring water" or "majestic alpine peaks" to the labels, we believe we're drinking cleaner water. Bottled water is just water. Water privatization is not only hurting animals but restricting a basic human right to those oceans away.



What can you do?
There's a simple alternative to bottled water: buy a reusable water bottle, and use it. Don't like the way your local tap water tastes? Inexpensive carbon filters will turn most tap water sparkling fresh and save you money.

So think, every time you spend more than $2/bottle, remember where it will end up. More than a million seabirds and 100,000 marine mammals die every year from plastic.
Unless you're planning on doing this,
just buy a reusable water bottle, save money and keep the plastic to yourself.
To learn more about how harmful plastic water bottles are to our environment, check out The Water Project.

6 comments:

  1. Very informative post about the damage that plastic bottles cause to our environment, and great advice on how we can help alleviate this problem. Like you said, the alternative to bottled water is so simple and affordable! I'll take tap water over bottled water any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way to make our community more sustainable and green. We should deeply reconsider our behavior until Mother Nature decides to get rid of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post will make me more conscience to remember my reusable water bottle! I am glad you wrote about this as I did not know that even if I recycle it is not guaranteed that my water bottle will be reused. So thank you for the information Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge fan of documentaries and Blue Gold was well worth the watch. I've long hated plastic water bottles, coffee cups and excess packaging. Good for you for helping promote awareness around this important issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a Brita-filtered bottle and I don't regret it at all.

    I really enjoy your blog, Maria; some pretty helpful tips that more people should heed!

    -J-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post Maria! I'm always inspired by your attitude towards the environment! I completely agree with the idea that water bottles are unnecessary. When you could buy a reusable bottle for around the same price as 2 throwaway bottles, it's really only laziness that's keeping people from making the switch. And with the state of the environment today, we can't really afford to be lazy.

    ReplyDelete