Pages

Friday 14 February 2014

Drive less, smile more!

Time to "pool it!"

I often struggle trying to pick topics that others will care about related to the environment because even though I think there are lots of pressing issues not everyone will agree with me. This post was inspired during a conversation with a classmate of mine.



Carpooling, WHY NOT?

Personally, I carpool from Tues-Thurs with some friends of mine, we save money on gas, reduce our impact on the environment and let's face it, you're going to be judged less by others if you're singing/dancing in the the car with friends vs. alone. (although I totally sing and dance alone, regardless of others watching me)

According to Environment Canada, overall transportation represents the largest single source of Canada’s greenhouse gas emissions, accounting for 27% of the total.

Let's talk $$$
  • Carpooling allows you to share the cost of gas and parking, cutting your expenses by nearly 50% or more; the more occupants in your carpool the more you save.
  • The Canadian Automobile Association reports the average yearly cost to operate a car can be as much as $9,000 year, or nearly $25 per day!
  • The average carpooler can cut out as much as $600 each month on the cost of their commuting drive
  • About 18% of a person’s monthly budget it taken up in car maintenance, repairs, and gas.
  • The total amount of money saved by carpooling every year is $1.1 billion.

Environmental Impact
  • Having fewer cars on the road means reduced Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions and improved air quality.
  • By carpooling just twice a week, 1,600 pounds of greenhouse gases can be kept out of the air each year.
  • If 100 people were to take advantage of the carpool option every day, more than of 1,320 pounds of carbon monoxide and 2,376,000 pounds of carbon dioxide could be removed from the air.
  • Carpooling means fewer cars on the road each day which means less oil usage, and this can help reduce the nation’s dependency on foreign oil.

Other advantages
  • You get to use the Carpool Lane!
  • Carpooling is a great way to make new friends!
  • If everyone opted to carpool just one day a week, the traffic on the nation’s major highways and roads would be reduced by as much as 20%.
  • Carpooling means fewer cars on the road each day which means less oil usage, and this can help reduce the nation’s dependency on foreign oil.
  • Your health also benefits from carpooling; The congestion and volume of traffic on the roads are a major source of stress for many drivers. Studies show that those who commute by means other than a single-occupancy vehicle demonstrate lower levels of stress, higher morale, and lower blood pressure.            

If you would like to carpool but don't know anyone you can carpool with, visit carpool.ca. This new program can assist in the formation and management of carpools.



7 comments:

  1. This makes so much sense! and yet, I do travel mostly alone in my car. At home we all have different schedules. However, I will try my best this summer to travel by bike only.. well as long as Welland permits it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with carpooling where you can....I too sing and dance in the car...doesn't the steering wheel make a great drum at times? lol....Our environment needs all the help it can get and if sharing some time with friends or family is the way to do it....it is double benefit to us and to the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carpooling makes so much sense, I am glad me and my classmates (you) try and do it as much as we can. It make so much sense, and is the easiest thing to arrange. Thanks Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing such great information. I I am so glad I carpool to school as it makes my morning much more enjoyable and now I know what a positive impact it has on the environment. Every little bit counts! P.s I don't mind your singing in the morning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carpooling is really a great idea. I hope we could have more carpooling all over the world, especially in China. Now big cities, such as Beijing and Shanghai, suffer from big problems not only the terrible traffic jam but also the polluted air. If we can do something being green from our daily lives, then carpooling is the simplest and easiest way. Thanks, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It always blows my mind how open the car pool lane is on the 403.
    Needless to say, I couldn't agree more; more people need to carpool.
    Excellent read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria,

    I couldn't agree more with the fact that carpooling is a wise decision. It saves on gas money, you have company to enjoy the ride with and if everyone decided to buy into this lovely idea - there would be less traffic and overall confusion on the road.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete