Pages

Thursday 13 March 2014

Distance makes the heart grow fonder?

Distance is generally bad...

Long distance relationship = bad, long distance commute = bad, long distance rates = bad. Unless you're referring to a sport (long distance running, long distance swimming, etc), distance is generally bad. Well folks, when food and distance mix, it is also bad. 

Let's explore Food Miles.



Food Miles are a way of attempting to measure how far food has travelled before it reaches the consumer. It is the concept of looking at the environmental impact of foods and their ingredients. Globalization and free/fair trade agreements have allowed for food to travel even further than before, this means thinking of where your food comes from and considering the impact food travel has on us, you can do this by measuring the pollution the food has caused. 


Think about the distance the food has travelled to get to you. Was it by plane? Boat? Road?

You can find out the impact your food has on the environment by going to Foodmiles.com

What can you do to reduce the impact your food has on the environment?

  • Buy local! 
  • Grow your own food
These two ways not only decrease the impact food miles have on our lives but by growing your own food or buying local, you may also be decreasing the number of GMOs you consume. 

It is understandable that not every item on your grocery list has to come from a local market. Start with buying your apples from local farmers, any small act helps send a message that consumers want to reduce "food mileage".


5 comments:

  1. Great tips, Maria! I never would have thought of the impact of imported food. I do enjoy the local farmers market, and now, even more so! I'll definitely be looking into the food miles of the other food I purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow...I buy local all summer long, but in the winter months, I do buy fruit and veggies that are grown in California, Mexico and Chili, I will have to rethink this habit and perhaps invest in a greenhouse to grow my own stuff year round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, Maria! Eating local food is not only helpful for the environment, but also it could be very healthy and fresh. Thanks for sharing with us eating locally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, this is a great post. As someone with a bizarre anaphylactic pollen allergy not being able to eat locally is the biggest disappointment. Although I can not indulge in an Ontario grown peach on a hot summers day I am constantly encouraging all my family members to eat locally whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea this website existed!
    This blog post makes me think much farther of life than just accepting what I have in my everyday surroundings.
    It is an eye opener!

    ReplyDelete